Wiciadur:Y Dafarn

Oddiwrth Wiciadur, y geiriadur rhydd.
Neidio i: llywio, chwilio



Y Dafarn
The Pineapple Pub at night.jpg


Croeso i'r Dafarn.

Defnyddir y gyfres hon o dudalennau i drafod materion technegol, polisïau, a gweithredu Wiciadur. Nid y dafarn yw'r lle i wneud sylwadau parhaol oherwydd caiff trafodaethau anfywiog eu harchifo ar ôl peth amser.

Llofnodwch a dyddiwch eich neges os gwelwch yn dda (trwy deipio ~~~~ neu drwy glicio ar y eicon llofnod yn y blwch offer golygu).


Welcome to "Y Dafarn" - our virtual pub.

These pages are used to discuss technical matters, policies and any other query you may have. Do not use this page to make permanent comments as inactive discussions will be archived after some time.

Don't forget to sign and date your message (by typing ~~~~ or by clicking on the signature icon in the editing toolbox).


Taflen Cynnwys

New UK wikimedia chapter[golygu]

A plan is in the works to found a new UK chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation, and we are currently gathering support from the community. If you are interested in being part of this new UK chapter as a member, a board member or as someone with a general interest in the chapter, please head over to m:Wikimedia UK v2.0 and let us know. We also welcome help in making finishing touches to the plans. An election will be held shortly for the initial board, who will oversee the process of founding the company and accepting membership applications. They will then call an AGM to formally elect a new board, which will take the chapter forward, starting to raise funds and generally supporting the Wikimedia community in the UK.

Geni 19:27, 30 Awst 2008 (UTC)

meta:Wiktionary/logo/refresh/proposals[golygu]

For your information. Conrad.Irwin 10:32, 10 Mai 2009 (UTC)

Diweddaru negeseuon y rhyngwyneb[golygu]

Os ewch at restr pob neges sustem ar y Wiciadur fe welwch bod llawer ohonynt angen cael eu diweddaru i gyfateb â'r negeseuon diweddaraf oddi ar wefan translatewiki.com (sef y testun rhagosodedig). Er mwyn defnyddio'r neges rhagosodedig yn lle'r neges cyfredol, rhaid dileu'r neges cyfredol ar Wiciadur. Dim ond gweinyddwr all wneud hyn. All un o'r gweinyddwyr fynd ati i wneud hyn? Bydd angen ystyried bob neges cyn dileu wrth gwrs, gan fod angen addasu rhai o'r negeseuon rhagosodedig at ddibenion Wiciadur. Y rheswm dros godi'r mater nawr yw bod Wiciadur wedi ei enwi (h.y. named and shamed!) ar safle drafod WELSH-TERMAU-CYMRAEG@JISCMAIL.AC.UK, yn enghraifft o wefan lle nad yw safon y Gymraeg yn ddigon da. Byddai cael gwared ar y gwallau iaith yn y rhyngwyneb yn ddechrau da ar wella safon y wefan. Lloffiwr 15:56, 25 Chwefror 2010 (UTC)

Cynnig gweinyddwr newydd[golygu]

Mae Pwyll wedi cytuno i mi gynnig ei enw i fod yn weinyddwr ar y Wiciadur, yn bennaf er mwyn gallu cynorthwyo yn y gwaith o gywiro'r negeseuon, fel ag a ddisgrifiais yn yr adran gynt. Os oes angen rhagor o gefnogaeth cyn ei benodi'n weinyddwr, rhowch wybod i mi ac fe af i chwilio am gefnogwyr! Lloffiwr 21:47, 26 Chwefror 2010 (UTC)

Wedi dyrchafu Pwyll. Pob hwyl. --Adam (Sgwrs) 18:50, 2 Mawrth 2010 (UTC)
Diolch! Pwyll 08:46, 3 Mawrth 2010 (UTC)

Newid tudalen yr Hafan[golygu]

I fod yn onest, eisiau barn pobl ydw i... Dw i wedi bod yn arbrofi gyda newid diwyg tudalen yr Hafan. Yn fy marn i, mae cymaint o wybodaeth, categorïau a.y.y.b. ar y dudalen ar hyn o bryd, mae'n gwneud y dudalen yn llawer mwy cymhleth nag sydd angen iddi fod. Dw i wedi creu'r dudalen hon yn seiliedig ar y fersiwn Saesneg, ac mae'n llawer haws i'w defnyddio yn fy nhyb i. Beth yw barn pobl eraill? A fyddai unrhyw wrthwynebiad gan unrhyw un pe bawn i'n newid y dudalen? Fe adawaf y neges hon fan hyn am wythnos cyn gwneud unrhyw newidiadau. Diolch. Pwyll 21:00, 4 Mawrth 2010 (UTC)

Wedi newid yr Hafan! Pwyll 16:46, 31 Mai 2010 (UTC)

Bot policy[golygu]

Hello. To facilitate steward granting of bot access, I suggest implementing the standard bot policy on this wiki. In particular, this policy allows stewards to automatically flag known interlanguage linking bots (if this page says that is acceptable), which form the vast majority of such requests. The policy also enables global bots on this wiki (if this page says that is acceptable), which are trusted bots that will be given bot access on every wiki that allows global bots.

This policy makes bot access requesting much easier for local users, operators, and stewards. To implement it we only need to create a redirect to this page from Project:Bot policy, and add a line at the top noting that it is used here. Please read the text at m:Bot policy before commenting. If you object, please say so; I hope to implement in two weeks if there is no objection, since it is particularly written to streamline bot requests on wikis with little or no community interested in bot access requests. Malafaya 21:01, 25 Mai 2010 (UTC)

Approved with no opposing comments. Addition to global bot wikiset pending. Thanks, Malafaya 13:46, 27 Awst 2010 (UTC)
Done. DerHexer 14:24, 27 Awst 2010 (UTC)

Gweinyddwr newydd dros dro[golygu]

Cais yw hwn i ofyn a oes modd gwneud yn sysop dros dro ar y Wiciadur Cymraeg (am gyfnod o ryw 6 mis efallai?). Mae angen rhywun sydd a'r gallu technegol i greu cwymplenni cyfeithiadau er mwyn gallu rhoi esboniadau gwahanol ar gyfer geiriau gyda mwy nag un ystyr. Diolch. Pwyll 08:35, 12 Mehefin 2010 (UTC)

VolkovBot[golygu]

Could this user be given a bot flag? --Ooswesthoesbes 11:19, 27 Awst 2010 (UTC)

I agree. Malafaya 11:32, 27 Awst 2010 (UTC)
I just finished implementing the standard bot policy per above. Global bots still need to be set for this wiki but when it's done, VolkovBot being a global bot will be hidden by default. Malafaya 13:51, 27 Awst 2010 (UTC)
Done by global bots approval per request above. Malafaya 14:25, 27 Awst 2010 (UTC)

Fundraising 2010[golygu]

Hello Wikimedians,

As many of you are aware, we are now two months away from the Fundraiser for the Wikimedia Foundation, 2010. We have lofty goals, and we can meet them and exceed them!

The meta translators are already actively engaged in the annual drive to distribute our messages and we encourage you to do the same, but we would like to point everyone to the developments we've made in banner messages- from creation to commentary to the ones that will go live for test and for the drive itself in November. It's one of our goals to make sure that all volunteers know that there is a place for them in the Fundraising drive. We've started the setup on meta for both banner submission, statistical analysis, and grouping volunteers together that would like to find specific focus and work in that area.

This year the Wikimedia Foundation is taking a proactive stance in reaching out to each and every Wikimedia project and volunteer to find innovation, collaboration, and collation of ideas from the community driven process. The staff working on this is comprised of long-time Wikimedians with as much care and concern for the success of this drive as the volunteers, and we want you to actively participate and have a voice.

Use the talk pages on meta, talk to your local communities, talk to others, talk to us. Engagement is what we strive for, without each other we would never had made Wikimedia succeed. Everyone is welcome to contact any of us on staff at any time with a timely response to follow. We actively encourage focusing discussion on meta so we can all work together.

Please translate this message into your language if you can and post it below.

See you on the wiki! Keegan, WMF Fundraiser 2010 03:09, 13 Medi 2010 (UTC)

nl.wikt[golygu]

WikiWoordenboek: 100.000! Jcwf 13:18, 9 Rhagfyr 2010 (UTC)

Call for image filter referendum[golygu]

The Wikimedia Foundation, at the direction of the Board of Trustees, will be holding a vote to determine whether members of the community support the creation and usage of an opt-in personal image filter, which would allow readers to voluntarily screen particular types of images strictly for their own account.

Further details and educational materials will be available shortly. The referendum is scheduled for 12-27 August, 2011, and will be conducted on servers hosted by a neutral third party. Referendum details, officials, voting requirements, and supporting materials will be posted at Meta:Image filter referendum shortly.

Sorry for delivering you a message in English. Please help translate the pages on the referendum on Meta and join the translators mailing list.

For the coordinating committee,
Philippe (WMF)
Cbrown1023
Risker
Mardetanha
PeterSymonds
Robert Harris

Terms of Use update[golygu]

I apologize that you are receiving this message in English. Please help translate it.

Hello,

The Wikimedia Foundation is discussing changes to its Terms of Use. The discussion can be found at Talk:Terms of use. Everyone is invited to join in. Because the new version of Terms of use is not in final form, we are not able to present official translations of it. Volunteers are welcome to translate it, as German volunteers have done at m:Terms of use/de, but we ask that you note at the top that the translation is unofficial and may become outdated as the English version is changed. The translation request can be found at m:Translation requests/WMF/Terms of Use 2 -- Maggie Dennis, Community Liaison 00:38, 27 Hydref 2011 (UTC)

Open Call for 2012 Wikimedia Fellowship Applicants[golygu]

Wikimedia Foundation RGB logo with text.svg

I apologize that you are receiving this message in English. Please help translate it.

  • Do you want to help attract new contributors to Wikimedia projects?
  • Do you want to improve retention of our existing editors?
  • Do you want to strengthen our community by diversifying its base and increasing the overall number of excellent participants around the world?

The Wikimedia Foundation is seeking Community Fellows and project ideas for the Community Fellowship Program. A Fellowship is a temporary position at the Wikimedia Foundation in order to work on a specific project or set of projects. Submissions for 2012 are encouraged to focus on the theme of improving editor retention and increasing participation in Wikimedia projects. If interested, please submit a project idea or apply to be a fellow by January 15, 2012. Please visit https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Fellowships for more information.

Thanks!

--Siko Bouterse, Head of Community Fellowships, Wikimedia Foundation 12:53, 21 Rhagfyr 2011 (UTC)

Distributed via Global message delivery. (Wrong page? Fix here.)

Announcing Wikipedia 1.19 beta[golygu]

Wikimedia Foundation is getting ready to push out 1.19 to all the WMF-hosted wikis. As we finish wrapping up our code review, you can test the new version right now on beta.wmflabs.org. For more information, please read the release notes or the start of the final announcement.

The following are the areas that you will probably be most interested in:

  • Faster loading of javascript files makes dependency tracking more important.
  • New common*.css files usable by skins instead of having to copy piles of generic styles from MonoBook or Vector's css.
  • The default user signature now contains a talk link in addition to the user link.
  • Searching blocked usernames in block log is now clearer.
  • Better timezone recognition in user preferences.
  • Improved diff readability for colorblind people.
  • The interwiki links table can now be accessed also when the interwiki cache is used (used in the API and the Interwiki extension).
  • More gender support (for instance in logs and user lists).
  • Language converter improved, e.g. it now works depending on the page content language.
  • Time and number-formatting magic words also now depend on the page content language.
  • Bidirectional support further improved after 1.18.

Report any problems on the labs beta wiki and we'll work to address them before they software is released to the production wikis.

Note that this cluster does have SUL but it is not integrated with SUL in production, so you'll need to create another account. You should avoid using the same password as you use here. — Global message delivery 00:03, 15 Ionawr 2012 (UTC)

MediaWiki 1.19[golygu]

(Apologies if this message isn't in your language.) The Wikimedia Foundation is planning to upgrade MediaWiki (the software powering this wiki) to its latest version this month. You can help to test it before it is enabled, to avoid disruption and breakage. More information is available in the full announcement. Thank you for your understanding.

Guillaume Paumier, via the Global message delivery system (wrong page? You can fix it.). 14:55, 12 Chwefror 2012 (UTC)

Survey invitation[golygu]

First, I apologize that part of this message is in English. If you can assist by translating it for your local community, I would greatly appreciate it.

The Wikimedia Foundation would like to invite you to take part in a brief survey.

Diolch am gwblhau Arolwg Blaenoriaethau Dosbarthu Arian 2012. Gobeithia'r Sefydliad y bydd yr arolwg hwn yn amlygu pa adnoddau y mae Wicifryngwyr eisiau ac angen (efallai y bydd angen ariannu rhai o'r rhain), a beth yw'r blaenoriaethau. Ni fydd holl raglenni'r Sefydliad fan hyn (yn benodol hepgorwyd gweithrediadau craidd) - dim ond adnoddau y bydd cyfrannwyr unigol neu sefydliadau sy'n gysylltiedig â Wicifryngau megis penodau yn gofyn amdanynt. Y nod yn y fan hon yw adnabod beth sydd o ddiddordeb i CHI (neu grŵpiau, megis penodau neu glybiau), gan restru'r opsiynau yn ôl dewis. Nid ydym wedi cynnwys pethau fel "cadw'r gweinyddion i weithio" yn y rhestr hon, oherwydd cyfrifoldeb cyfranwyr unigol neu sefydliadau gwirfoddol ydynt. Bwriad yr arolwg hwn yw dweud wrthym pa flaenoriaethau ariannu mae cyfranwyr yn cytuno neu'n anghytuno â hwy.

Unfortunately we’ve discovered that the people who make the survey software have not yet enabled it for Welsh. They plan to add this soon, but not in time for you to take this particular survey in your native language.

However, the Welsh version of the questions has been made available by volunteers. I do apologize greatly for the inconvenience, but if you would like, you can fill in the form in English on the survey website and read the Welsh questions on the Meta website.

This invitation is being sent only to those projects where the survey has been translated into your language (even though we can’t get Welsh into the actual software). It is, however, open to any contributor from any project. Please feel free to share the link with other Wikimedians and to invite their participation. The survey is open until Friday, March 9th. If you have any questions for me, please address them to my talk page, since I won’t be able to keep an eye at every point where I place the notice. Again, I apologize for the lack of capacity of the software to accommodate Welsh. They assure us that this will be fixed. Thank you! --Mdennis (WMF) (sgwrs) 18:49, 7 Mawrth 2012 (UTC)

I apologize that this is in English, but a Welsh translation of the survey is available now. Thanks! Slaporte (WMF) (sgwrs) 21:45, 7 Mawrth 2012 (UTC)

Update on IPv6[golygu]

Wikimedia Foundation RGB logo with text.svg

(Apologies if this message isn't in your language. Please consider translating it, as well as the full version of this announcement on Meta)

The Wikimedia Foundation is planning to do limited testing of IPv6 on June 2-3. If there are not too many problems, we may fully enable IPv6 on World IPv6 day (June 6), and keep it enabled.

What this means for your project:

  • At least on June 2-3, 2012, you may see a small number of edits from IPv6 addresses, which are in the form "2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334". See e.g. w:en:IPv6 address. These addresses should behave like any other IP address: You can leave messages on their talk pages; you can track their contributions; you can block them. (See the full version of this announcement for notes on range blocks.)
  • In the mid term, some user scripts and tools will need to be adapted for IPv6.
  • We suspect that IPv6 usage is going to be very low initially, meaning that abuse should be manageable, and we will assist in the monitoring of the situation.

Read the full version of this announcement on how to test the behavior of IPv6 with various tools and how to leave bug reports, and to find a fuller analysis of the implications of the IPv6 migration.

--Erik Möller, VP of Engineering and Product Development, Wikimedia Foundation 00:50, 2 Mehefin 2012 (UTC)

Distributed via Global message delivery. (Wrong page? Fix here.)

2011 Picture of the Year competition[golygu]

македонскиnorsk bokmålpolski

Dear Wikimedians,

Wikimedia Commons is happy to announce that the 2011 Picture of the Year competition is now open. We are interested in your opinion as to which images qualify to be the Picture of the Year 2011. Any user registered at Commons or a Wikimedia wiki SUL-related to Commons with more than 75 edits before 1 April 2012 (UTC) is welcome to vote and, of course everyone is welcome to view!

Detailed information about the contest can be found at the introductory page.

About 600 of the best of Wikimedia Common's photos, animations, movies and graphics were chosen –by the international Wikimedia Commons community– out of 12 million files during 2011 and are now called Featured Pictures.

From professional animal and plant shots to breathtaking panoramas and skylines, restorations of historically relevant images, images portraying the world's best architecture, maps, emblems, diagrams created with the most modern technology, and impressive human portraits, Commons Features Pictures of all flavors.

For your convenience, we have sorted the images into topic categories.

We regret that you receive this message in English; we intended to use banners to notify you in your native language but there was both, human and technical resistance.

See you on Commons! --Picture of the Year 2011 Committee 18:10, 5 Mehefin 2012 (UTC)

Distributed via Global message delivery. (Wrong page? Fix here.)

Mobile view as default view coming soon[golygu]

Wikimedia Foundation RGB logo with text.svg

(Apologies if this message isn't in your language. Please consider translating it, as well as the instructions on Meta)

The mobile view of this project and others will soon become the default view on mobile devices (except tablets). Some language versions of these projects currently show no content on the mobile home page, and it is a good time to do a little formatting so users get a mobile-friendly view, or to add to existing mobile content if some already exists.

If you are an administrator, please consider helping with this change. There are instructions which are being translated. The proposed date of switching the default view is June 21.

To contact the mobile team, email mobile-feedback-lAt sign.svglists.wikimedia.org.

--Phil Inje Chang, Product Manager, Mobile, Wikimedia Foundation 08:27, 16 Mehefin 2012 (UTC)

Distributed via Global message delivery. (Wrong page? Fix here.)

Help decide about more than $10 million of Wikimedia donations in the coming year[golygu]

Wikimedia Foundation RGB logo with text.svg

(Apologies if this message isn't in your language. Please consider translating it)

Hi,

As many of you are aware, the Wikimedia Board of Trustees recently initiated important changes in the way that money is being distributed within the Wikimedia movement. As part of this, a new community-led "Funds Dissemination Committee" (FDC) is currently being set up. Already in 2012-13, its recommendations will guide the decisions about the distribution of over 10 million US dollars among the Foundation, chapters and other eligible entities.

Now, seven capable, knowledgeable and trustworthy community members are sought to volunteer on the initial Funds Dissemination Committee. It is expected to take up its work in September. In addition, a community member is sought to be the Ombudsperson for the FDC process. If you are interested in joining the committee, read the call for volunteers. Nominations are planned to close on August 15.

--Anasuya Sengupta, Director of Global Learning and Grantmaking, Wikimedia Foundation 19:58, 19 Gorffennaf 2012 (UTC)

Distributed via Global message delivery. (Wrong page? Fix here.)

Request for Comment: Legal Fees Assistance Program[golygu]

Wikimedia Foundation RGB logo with text.svg

I apologize for addressing you in English. I would be grateful if you could translate this message into your language.

The Wikimedia Foundation is conducting a request for comment on a proposed program that could provide legal assistance to users in specific support roles who are named in a legal complaint as a defendant because of those roles. We wanted to be sure that your community was aware of this discussion and would have a chance to participate in that discussion.

If this page is not the best place to publicize this request for comment, please help spread the word to those who may be interested in participating. (If you'd like to help translating the "request for comment", program policy or other pages into your language and don't know how the translation system works, please come by my user talk page at m:User talk:Mdennis (WMF). I'll be happy to assist or to connect you with a volunteer who can assist.)

Thank you! --Mdennis (WMF)01:52, 6 Medi 2012 (UTC)

Distributed via Global message delivery. (Wrong page? Fix here.)

Wikidata is getting close to a first roll-out[golygu]

Wikimedia Foundation RGB logo with text.svg

(Apologies if this message isn't in your language.)

As some of you might already have heard Wikimedia Deutschland is working on a new Wikimedia project. It is called m:Wikidata. The goal of Wikidata is to become a central data repository for the Wikipedias, its sister projects and the world. In the future it will hold data like the number of inhabitants of a country, the date of birth of a famous person or the length of a river. These can then be used in all Wikimedia projects and outside of them.

The project is divided into three phases and "we are getting close to roll-out the first phase". The phases are:

  1. language links in the Wikipedias (making it possible to store the links between the language editions of an article just once in Wikidata instead of in each linked article)
  2. infoboxes (making it possible to store the data that is currently in infoboxes in one central place and share the data)
  3. lists (making it possible to create lists and similar things based on queries to Wikidata so they update automatically when new data is added or modified)

It'd be great if you could join us, test the demo version, provide feedback and take part in the development of Wikidata. You can find all the relevant information including an FAQ and sign-up links for our on-wiki newsletter on the Wikidata page on Meta.

For further discussions please use this talk page (if you are uncomfortable writing in English you can also write in your native language there) or point me to the place where your discussion is happening so I can answer there.

--Lydia Pintscher 13:13, 10 Medi 2012 (UTC)

Distributed via Global message delivery. (Wrong page? Fix here.)

Upcoming software changes - please report any problems[golygu]

Wikimedia Foundation RGB logo with text.svg

(Apologies if this message isn't in your language. Please consider translating it)

All Wikimedia wikis - including this one - will soon be upgraded with new and possibly disruptive code. This process starts today and finishes on October 24 (see the upgrade schedule & code details).

Please watch for problems with:

  • revision diffs
  • templates
  • CSS and JavaScript pages (like user scripts)
  • bots
  • PDF export
  • images, video, and sound, especially scaling sizes
  • the CologneBlue skin

If you notice any problems, please report problems at our defect tracker site. You can test for possible problems at test2.wikipedia.org and mediawiki.org, which have already been updated.

Thanks! With your help we can find problems fast and get them fixed faster.

Sumana Harihareswara, Wikimedia Foundation Engineering Community Manager (talk) 02:48, 16 Hydref 2012 (UTC)

P.S.: For the regular, smaller MediaWiki updates every two weeks, please watch this schedule.

Distributed via Global message delivery. (Wrong page? Fix here.)

Fundraising localization: volunteers from outside the USA needed[golygu]

Please translate for your local community

Hello All,

The Wikimedia Foundation's Fundraising team have begun our 'User Experience' project, with the goal of understanding the donation experience in different countries outside the USA and enhancing the localization of our donation pages. I am searching for volunteers to spend 30 minutes on a Skype chat with me, reviewing their own country's donation pages. It will be done on a 'usability' format (I will ask you to read the text and go through the donation flow) and will be asking your feedback in the meanwhile.

The only pre-requisite is for the volunteer to actually live in the country and to have access to at least one donation method that we offer for that country (mainly credit/debit card, but also real-time banking like IDEAL, E-wallets, etc...) so we can do a live test and see if the donation goes through. All volunteers will be reimbursed of the donations that eventually succeed (and they will be low amounts, like 1-2 dollars)

By helping us you are actually helping thousands of people to support our mission of free knowledge across the world. Please sing up and help us with our 'User Experience' project! :) If you are interested (or know of anyone who could be) please email ppena@wikimedia.org. All countries needed (excepting USA)!

Thanks!
Pats Pena
Global Fundraising Operations Manager, Wikimedia Foundation

Sent using Global message delivery, 16:53, 17 Hydref 2012 (UTC)

Be a Wikimedia fundraising "User Experience" volunteer![golygu]

Thank you to everyone who volunteered last year on the Wikimedia fundraising 'User Experience' project. We have talked to many different people in different countries and their feedback has helped us immensely in restructuring our pages. If you haven't heard of it yet, the 'User Experience' project has the goal of understanding the donation experience in different countries (outside the USA) and enhancing the localization of our donation pages.

I am (still) searching for volunteers to spend some time on a Skype chat with me, reviewing their own country's donation pages. It will be done on a 'usability' format (I will ask you to read the text and go through the donation flow) and will be asking your feedback in the meanwhile.

The only pre-requisite is for the volunteer to actually live in the country and to have access to at least one donation method that we offer for that country (mainly credit/debit card, but also real time banking like IDEAL, E-wallets, etc...) so we can do a live test and see if the donation goes through. **All volunteers will be reimbursed of the donations that eventually succeed (and they will be very low amounts, like 1-2 dollars)**

By helping us you are actually helping thousands of people to support our mission of free knowledge across the world. If you are interested (or know of anyone who could be) please email ppena@wikimedia.org. All countries needed (excepting USA)!!

Thanks!

Pats Pena
Global Fundraising Operations Manager, Wikimedia Foundation

Sent using Global message delivery, 20:46, 8 Ionawr 2013 (UTC)

Wikimedia sites to move to primary data center in Ashburn, Virginia. Read-only mode expected.[golygu]

(Apologies if this message isn't in your language.) Next week, the Wikimedia Foundation will transition its main technical operations to a new data center in Ashburn, Virginia, USA. This is intended to improve the technical performance and reliability of all Wikimedia sites, including this wiki. There will be some times when the site will be in read-only mode, and there may be full outages; the current target windows for the migration are January 22nd, 23rd and 24th, 2013, from 17:00 to 01:00 UTC (see other timezones on timeanddate.com). More information is available in the full announcement.

If you would like to stay informed of future technical upgrades, consider becoming a Tech ambassador and joining the ambassadors mailing list. You will be able to help your fellow Wikimedians have a voice in technical discussions and be notified of important decisions.

Thank you for your help and your understanding.

Guillaume Paumier, via the Global message delivery system (wrong page? You can fix it.). 15:09, 19 Ionawr 2013 (UTC)

Dolennau o Wicipedia i Wiciadur[golygu]

Henffych! Mae gen i Bot o'r enw BOT-Twm Crys yn barod i roi dolennau ar bob erthygl yn Wicipedia-cy sydd a chymar yn y Wiciadur. Fe all wneud hyn rwan; gweler fama. Yr unig beth arall (rhan 2 o'r broses) fydd yn rhaid iddo'i wneud ydy creu ailgyfeiriadau o briflythyren i islythyren e.e. Adloniant i adloniant. Ga i eich caniatad i weithredu'r Bot os gwelwch yn dda? Mi wna i brawf o 5 arall yn Wicipedia a'u gwiro yn gyntaf.

Ac os ydych angen gwneud miloedd o newidiadau llafurus yn y dyfodol, rhowch waedd ar dudalen Sgwrs BOT-Twm Crys a mi driai fy ngorau. - BOT-Twm Crys (sgwrs) 12:53, 23 Ionawr 2013 (UTC) aka Llywelyn2000 (sgwrs) 12:54, 23 Ionawr 2013 (UTC)

Shwmae Llywelyn2000, Mae'r bot yn swnio'n syniad da ac yn sicr dylai hwyluso pethau yn y dyfodol. Dw i ddim yn rhagweld problem :)Pwyll (sgwrs) 19:10, 26 Ionawr 2013 (UTC)
Gwych! Ac os oes unrhyw beth arall wyt ti isio i Fotwm Crys ei wneud - rho wybod! Llywelyn2000 (sgwrs) 08:09, 1 Chwefror 2013 (UTC)

Yes check.svg Cwblhawyd

Cwbwlhawyd. - Llywelyn2000 (sgwrs) 06:06, 3 Chwefror 2013 (UTC)

Help turn ideas into grants in the new IdeaLab[golygu]

Wikimedia Foundation RGB logo with text.svg

I apologize if this message is not in your language. Please help translate it.

  • Do you have an idea for a project to improve this community or website?
  • Do you think you could complete your idea if only you had some funding?
  • Do you want to help other people turn their ideas into project plans or grant proposals?

Please join us in the IdeaLab, an incubator for project ideas and Individual Engagement Grant proposals.

The Wikimedia Foundation is seeking new ideas and proposals for Individual Engagement Grants. These grants fund individuals or small groups to complete projects that help improve this community. If interested, please submit a completed proposal by February 15, 2013. Please visit https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IEG for more information.

Thanks! --Siko Bouterse, Head of Individual Engagement Grants, Wikimedia Foundation 20:16, 30 Ionawr 2013 (UTC)

Distributed via Global message delivery. (Wrong page? Correct it here.)

Convert complex templates to Lua to make them faster and more powerful[golygu]

(Please consider translating this message for the benefit of your fellow Wikimedians)

Greetings. As you might have seen on the Wikimedia tech blog or the tech ambassadors list, a new functionality called "Lua" is being enabled on all Wikimedia sites today. Lua is a scripting language that enables you to write faster and more powerful MediaWiki templates.

If you have questions about how to convert existing templates to Lua (or how to create new ones), we'll be holding two support sessions on IRC next week: one on Wednesday (for Oceania, Asia & America) and one on Friday (for Europe, Africa & America); see m:IRC office hours for the details. If you can't make it, you can also get help at mw:Talk:Lua scripting.

If you'd like to learn about this kind of events earlier in advance, consider becoming a Tech ambassador by subscribing to the mailing list. You will also be able to help your fellow Wikimedians have a voice in technical discussions and be notified of important decisions.

Guillaume Paumier, via the Global message delivery system. 19:06, 13 Mawrth 2013 (UTC) (wrong page? You can fix it.)

Proposal of a pronunciation recording tool[golygu]

Hello, Rahul21, a developer, offers to develop a pronunciation recording tool for Wiktionary, helped by Michael Dale as part of GSoC. The tool would allow to record and add audio pronunciations to Wiktionary entries while browsing them (see background discussion on Wiktionary-l). Please read and comment the proposal! Regards, Nemo 22:36, 9 Ebrill 2013 (UTC)

Request for comment on inactive administrators[golygu]

(Please consider translating this message for the benefit of your fellow Wikimedians. Please also consider translating the proposal.)

Read this message in English / Lleer esti mensaxe n'asturianu / বাংলায় এই বার্তাটি পড়ুন / Llegiu aquest missatge en català / Læs denne besked på dansk / Lies diese Nachricht auf Deutsch / Leś cal mesag' chè in Emiliàn / Leer este mensaje en español / Lue tämä viesti suomeksi / Lire ce message en français / Ler esta mensaxe en galego / हिन्दी / Pročitajte ovu poruku na hrvatskom / Baca pesan ini dalam Bahasa Indonesia / Leggi questo messaggio in italiano / ಈ ಸಂದೇಶವನ್ನು ಕನ್ನಡದಲ್ಲಿ ಓದಿ / Aqra dan il-messaġġ bil-Malti / norsk (bokmål) / Lees dit bericht in het Nederlands / Przeczytaj tę wiadomość po polsku / Citiți acest mesaj în română / Прочитать это сообщение на русском / Farriintaan ku aqri Af-Soomaali / Pročitaj ovu poruku na srpskom (Прочитај ову поруку на српском) / อ่านข้อความนี้ในภาษาไทย / Прочитати це повідомлення українською мовою / Đọc thông báo bằng tiếng Việt / 使用中文阅读本信息。

Hello!

There is a new request for comment on Meta-Wiki concerning the removal of administrative rights from long-term inactive Wikimedians. Generally, this proposal from stewards would apply to wikis without an administrators' review process.

We are also compiling a list of projects with procedures for removing inactive administrators on the talk page of the request for comment. Feel free to add your project(s) to the list if you have a policy on administrator inactivity.

All input is appreciated. The discussion may close as soon as 21 May 2013 (2013-05-21), but this will be extended if needed.

Thanks, Billinghurst (thanks to all the translators!) 04:29, 24 Ebrill 2013 (UTC)

Distributed via Global message delivery (Wrong page? You can fix it.)

[en] Change to wiki account system and account renaming[golygu]

Some accounts will soon be renamed due to a technical change that the developer team at Wikimedia are making. More details on Meta.

(Distributed via global message delivery 03:27, 30 Ebrill 2013 (UTC). Wrong page? Correct it here.)

[en] Change to section edit links[golygu]

The default position of the "edit" link in page section headers is going to change soon. The "edit" link will be positioned adjacent to the page header text rather than floating opposite it.

Section edit links will be to the immediate right of section titles, instead of on the far right. If you're an editor of one of the wikis which already implemented this change, nothing will substantially change for you; however, scripts and gadgets depending on the previous implementation of section edit links will have to be adjusted to continue working; however, nothing else should break even if they are not updated in time.

Detailed information and a timeline is available on meta.

Ideas to do this all the way to 2009 at least. It is often difficult to track which of several potential section edit links on the far right is associated with the correct section, and many readers and anonymous or new editors may even be failing to notice section edit links at all, since they read section titles, which are far away from the links.

(Distributed via global message delivery 18:17, 30 Ebrill 2013 (UTC). Wrong page? Correct it here.)

Tech newsletter: Subscribe to receive the next editions[golygu]

Tech news prepared by tech ambassadors and posted by Global message deliveryContributeTranslateGet helpGive feedbackUnsubscribe • 20:24, 20 Mai 2013 (UTC)
Important note: This is the first edition of the Tech News weekly summaries, which help you monitor recent software changes likely to impact you and your fellow Wikimedians.

If you want to continue to receive the next issues every week, please subscribe to the newsletter. You can subscribe your personal talk page and a community page like this one. The newsletter can be translated into your language.

You can also become a tech ambassador, help us write the next newsletter and tell us what to improve. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. guillom 20:24, 20 Mai 2013 (UTC)

Trademark discussion[golygu]

Hi, apologies for posting this in English, but I wanted to alert your community to a discussion on Meta about potential changes to the Wikimedia Trademark Policy. Please translate this statement if you can. We hope that you will all participate in the discussion; we also welcome translations of the legal team’s statement into as many languages as possible and encourage you to voice your thoughts there. Please see the Trademark practices discussion (on Meta-Wiki) for more information. Thank you! --Mdennis (WMF) (talk)

Yn Eisiau: Rheolwr Wikimedia UK yng Nghymru[golygu]

Rheolwr Wicipedia yng Nghymru[golygu]

Mae Cymdeithas Wici Cymru a sefydlwyd yn Hydref 2012 wedi llwyddo i sicrhau £108,000 ar gyfer Prosiect Llwybrau Byw! gan Lywodraeth Cymru, yr Arolwg Ordnans a Wikimedia UK. Bydd cyfran WMUK yn mynd i gyflogi Rheolwr Wikimedia UK yng Nghymru i ddatblygu Wicipedia a'i chwaer-brosiectau. Ewch amdani! Mae'r manylion ar wefan Wici Cymru. Bydd angen nifer o hyfforddwyr yn ogystal a rheolwr. Mae hyn yn cyd-fynd â'n pen-blwydd yn 10 oed a nifer ein herthyglau yn 50,000 - yng Ngorffennaf. Llywelyn2000 (sgwrs) 19:29, 13 Mehefin 2013 (UTC)

X!'s Edit Counter[golygu]

Universal Language Selector will be enabled on 2013-07-09[golygu]

Pywikipedia is migrating to git[golygu]

Hello, Sorry for English but It's very important for bot operators so I hope someone translates this. Pywikipedia is migrating to Git so after July 26, SVN checkouts won't be updated If you're using Pywikipedia you have to switch to git, otherwise you will use out-dated framework and your bot might not work properly. There is a manual for doing that and a blog post explaining about this change in non-technical language. If you have question feel free to ask in mw:Manual talk:Pywikipediabot/Gerrit, mailing list, or in the IRC channel. Best Amir (via Global message delivery). 13:03, 23 Gorffennaf 2013 (UTC)

PWYSIG: Adolygiad o weithgaredd gweinyddol[golygu]

Sut mae? Mabwysiadwyd polisi newydd ynglŷn â hawliau ychwanegol Gweinyddwyr a Biwrocratiaid ayb gan global community consensus (derbyniodd eich cymuned nodyn am y drafodaeth hon). Yn unol â'r polisi hwn mae stiwardiaid yn adolygu gweithgareddau gweinyddwyr ar wicis bach. Hyd y gwyddom, nid oes gan eich wici ddull swyddogol o ddileu "hawliau ychwanegol" gyfrifon marw. Mi wneith y stiwardiaid y gwaith hwn yn unol â admin activity review.

Penderfynom fod y defnyddwyr canlynol heb fod yn weithgar (dim golygiadau na gweithgaredd am 2 flynedd):

  1. Arwel Parry (gweinyddwr)

Caiff y defnyddwyr hyn eu hysbysu cyn hir, gan ofyn iddyn nhw drafod gyda'r gymuned os ydyn nhw'n dymuno cadw rhai o'u hawliau. Os nad ydyn nhw'n ymateb, yna bydd eu hawliau ychwanegol yn cael eu diddymu gan y Stiwardiaid.

Fodd bynnag, os ydych chi, gymuned y Wicipedia Cymraeg, yn dymuno creu adolygiad ar weithgareddau gweinyddwyr sydd heb gyfrannu a'u hawliau ychwanegol, yn hytrach na'r adolygiad fyd-eang, yna rhowch wybod i stewards on Meta-Wiki fel nad ydym yn mynd ati gyda'r adolygiad hwn ar eich wici. Diolch. (llofnod) QuiteUnusual (sgwrs) 21:15, 10 Awst 2013 (UTC)

HTTPS for users with an account[golygu]

Greetings. Starting on August 21 (tomorrow), all users with an account will be using HTTPS to access Wikimedia sites. HTTPS brings better security and improves your privacy. More information is available at m:HTTPS.

If HTTPS causes problems for you, tell us on bugzilla, on IRC (in the #wikimedia-operations channel) or on meta. If you can't use the other methods, you can also send an e-mail to https@wikimedia.org.

Greg Grossmeier (via the Global message delivery system). 18:55, 20 Awst 2013 (UTC) (wrong page? You can fix it.)

[golygu]

Notifications[golygu]

Notifications inform you of new activity that affects you -- and let you take quick action.

(This message is in English, please translate as needed)

Greetings!

Notifications will inform users about new activity that affects them on this wiki in a unified way: for example, this new tool will let you know when you have new talk page messages, edit reverts, mentions or links -- and is designed to augment (rather than replace) the watchlist. The Wikimedia Foundation's editor engagement team developed this tool (code-named 'Echo') earlier this year, to help users contribute more productively to MediaWiki projects.

We're now getting ready to bring Notifications to almost all other Wikimedia sites, and are aiming for a 22 October deployment, as outlined in this release plan. It is important that notifications is translated for all of the languages we serve.

There are three major points of translation needed to be either done or checked:

Please let us know if you have any questions, suggestions or comments about this new tool. For more information, visit this project hub and this help page. Keegan (WMF) (talk) 18:23, 4 Hydref 2013 (UTC)

(via the Global message delivery system) (wrong page? You can fix it.)

Speak up about the trademark registration of the Community logo.[golygu]

Introducting Beta Features[golygu]

(Apologies for writing in English. Please translate if necessary)

We would like to let you know about Beta Features, a new program from the Wikimedia Foundation that lets you try out new features before they are released for everyone.

Think of it as a digital laboratory where community members can preview upcoming software and give feedback to help improve them. This special preference page lets designers and engineers experiment with new features on a broad scale, but in a way that's not disruptive.

Beta Features is now ready for testing on MediaWiki.org. It will also be released on Wikimedia Commons and MetaWiki this Thursday, 7 November. Based on test results, the plan is to release it on all wikis worldwide on 21 November, 2013.

Here are the first features you can test this week:

Would you like to try out Beta Features now? After you log in on MediaWiki.org, a small 'Beta' link will appear next to your 'Preferences'. Click on it to see features you can test, check the ones you want, then click 'Save'. Learn more on the Beta Features page.

After you've tested Beta Features, please let the developers know what you think on this discussion page -- or report any bugs here on Bugzilla. You're also welcome to join this IRC office hours chat on Friday, 8 November at 18:30 UTC.

Beta Features was developed by the Wikimedia Foundation's Design, Multimedia and VisualEditor teams. Along with other developers, they will be adding new features to this experimental program every few weeks. They are very grateful to all the community members who helped create this project — and look forward to many more productive collaborations in the future.

Enjoy, and don't forget to let developers know what you think! Keegan (WMF) (talk) 19:43, 5 Tachwedd 2013 (UTC)

Distributed via Global message delivery (wrong page? Correct it here), 19:43, 5 Tachwedd 2013 (UTC)

Call for comments on draft trademark policy[golygu]

Request for comment on Commons: Should Wikimedia support MP4 video?[golygu]

I apologize for this message being only in English. Please translate it if needed to help your community.

The Wikimedia Foundation's multimedia team seeks community guidance on a proposal to support the MP4 video format. This digital video standard is used widely around the world to record, edit and watch videos on mobile phones, desktop computers and home video devices. It is also known as H.264/MPEG-4 or AVC.

Supporting the MP4 format would make it much easier for our users to view and contribute video on Wikipedia and Wikimedia projects -- and video files could be offered in dual formats on our sites, so we could continue to support current open formats (WebM and Ogg Theora).

However, MP4 is a patent-encumbered format, and using a proprietary format would be a departure from our current practice of only supporting open formats on our sites -- even though the licenses appear to have acceptable legal terms, with only a small fee required.

We would appreciate your guidance on whether or not to support MP4. Our Request for Comments presents views both in favor and against MP4 support, based on opinions we’ve heard in our discussions with community and team members.

Please join this RfC -- and share your advice.

All users are welcome to participate, whether you are active on Commons, Wikipedia, other Wikimedia project -- or any site that uses content from our free media repository.

You are also welcome to join tomorrow's Office hours chat on IRC, this Thursday, January 16, at 19:00 UTC, if you would like to discuss this project with our team and other community members.

We look forward to a constructive discussion with you, so we can make a more informed decision together on this important topic. Keegan (WMF) (talk) 06:47, 16 Ionawr 2014 (UTC)

Universal Language Selector will be enabled by default again on this wiki by 21 February 2014[golygu]

On January 21 2014 the MediaWiki extension Universal Language Selector (ULS) was disabled on this wiki. A new preference was added for logged-in users to turn on ULS. This was done to prevent slow loading of pages due to ULS webfonts, a behaviour that had been observed by the Wikimedia Technical Operations team on some wikis.

We are now ready to enable ULS again. The temporary preference to enable ULS will be removed. A new checkbox has been added to the Language Panel to enable/disable font delivery. This will be unchecked by default for this wiki, but can be selected at any time by the users to enable webfonts. This is an interim solution while we improve the feature of webfonts delivery.

You can read the announcement and the development plan for more information. Apologies for writing this message only in English. Thank you. Runa

Amendment to the Terms of Use[golygu]

Call for project ideas: funding is available for community experiments[golygu]

IEG key blue.png

I apologize if this message is not in your language. Please help translate it.

Do you have an idea for a project that could improve your community? Individual Engagement Grants from the Wikimedia Foundation help support individuals and small teams to organize experiments for 6 months. You can get funding to try out your idea for online community organizing, outreach, tool-building, or research to help make Wiciadur better. In March, we’re looking for new project proposals.

Examples of past Individual Engagement Grant projects:

Proposals are due by 31 March 2014. There are a number of ways to get involved!

Hope to have your participation,

--Siko Bouterse, Head of Individual Engagement Grants, Wikimedia Foundation 19:44, 28 Chwefror 2014 (UTC)

Proposed optional changes to Terms of Use amendment[golygu]

Hello all, in response to some community comments in the discussion on the amendment to the Terms of Use on undisclosed paid editing, we have prepared two optional changes. Please read about these optional changes on Meta wiki and share your comments. If you can (and this is a non english project), please translate this announcement. Thanks! Slaporte (WMF) 21:56, 13 Mawrth 2014 (UTC)

Changes to the default site typography coming soon[golygu]

This week, the typography on Wikimedia sites will be updated for all readers and editors who use the default "Vector" skin. This change will involve new serif fonts for some headings, small tweaks to body content fonts, text size, text color, and spacing between elements. The schedule is:

  • April 1st: non-Wikipedia projects will see this change live
  • April 3rd: Wikipedias will see this change live

This change is very similar to the "Typography Update" Beta Feature that has been available on Wikimedia projects since November 2013. After several rounds of testing and with feedback from the community, this Beta Feature will be disabled and successful aspects enabled in the default site appearance. Users who are logged in may still choose to use another skin, or alter their personal CSS, if they prefer a different appearance. Local common CSS styles will also apply as normal, for issues with local styles and scripts that impact all users.

For more information:

-- Steven Walling (Product Manager) on behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation's User Experience Design team


Pronunciation Recording[golygu]

Visual workflow draft for pronunciation recording gadget; If you have trouble watching this video here, watch it on vimeo. A more extensive/explanative version is available.

Dear Wiktionary community!

About me
My name is Rainer Rillke, and I have been volunteering at Wikimedia Commons for 3 years now, gathering experience around media files. I've been always interested in how things work and how one could improve them.
The idea
One idea that appeared last Summer was allowing the recording of small chunks of speech, uploading that to Wikimedia Commons in the background and including this into a Wiktionary entry without having the hassle doing everything by hand or installing additional software. That idea led to the foundation of MediaWiki extension PronunciationRecording during the Google Summer of Code. However, this was not completed; instead development is stale for over 5 months now.
My proposal
To make this going to work, so Wiktionary has an immediate benefit of this feature, I would like to provide the work done so far as a gadget and add some more work in regard to usability. You can see my plan at m:Grants:IEG/Finish Pronunciation Recording. And more importantly, you can give me a hand, if you are interested by writing your comments.

Thanks and kind regards --Rillke (sgwrs) 17:25, 7 Ebrill 2014 (UTC)

This message was delivered based on commons:User:Rillke/gmd/prg. Translation fetched from: commons:User:Rillke/prg/en -- Rillke(q?) 17:42, 26 January 2013 (UTC)